Tampilkan postingan dengan label accident. Tampilkan semua postingan
Tampilkan postingan dengan label accident. Tampilkan semua postingan

Kamis, 15 September 2011

Neurological tests on Azhar's son Ayaz confirm brain dysfunction

ayazuddin with azharuddin
The worst fears of the family members of Mohammed Ayazuddin were confirmed on Thursday when the  neurological assessments performed on him showed that the bike accident on Sunday had severely damaged his brain.

Doctors treating Ayaz for the last five days had been worried about his neurological condition and
had even said that it was a matter of grave concern. On Thursday, hospital sources said that since Ayaz had
suffered a cardiac arrest on his way to the hospital, a major portion of his brain had become dysfunctional
with no blood supply from the heart for a prolonged period.


Ayazuddin's neurological assessments were being taken up for the last few days in between the other treatments and surgeries he was undergoing, but on Thursday doctors carried out full-fledged neurological tests to asses the extent of brain damage. "The assessments were going on but we couldn't take them up properly since it would have required stopping the medication which cannot be done," said a source.

Ever since Sunday morning when the accident occurred, sources said that the foremost challenge the doctors faced was to revive the two boys. While former ricketer Mohammed Azharuddin's 16-year- old nephew Ajmal-ur-Rehman succumbed, his younger son Ayaz could be revived.


Ayaz was brought to the hospital in a collapsed state. The other challenges that followed were to stop the profuse bleeding from his lung and kidney that was successfully done by performing two surgeries for which, the left kidney was removed.

A health bulletin issued by the hospital authorities on Thursday stated that brain function tests conducted on Ayazuddin indicated brain dysfunction. His status remains to be critical and he continues to be on ventilator support. Doctors said they were worried that even if Ayazuddin could come out of this serious condition, his brain dysfunction could be a major deterrent in him leading a normal life.

Senin, 11 Juli 2011

More than 128 including Children Dead in Russian Cruise Ship Sinking

russia ship sinking Shadows casted on a wall near flowers, candles and toys left in memory of victims of the tourist boat that sank on the Volga river, at a port in Kazan on Monday.

The rain was not relenting on Sunday afternoon, as the Bulgaria left the riverbanks behind for the open expanse of the reservoir. So the babysitters gathered the children together and led them to the activity room to play.

When the cruise boat lurched on one side and then, slowly, onto its top, the room became a sealed container. Adults broke windows with the heels of their shoes, or slid down the corridor and scrambled into the water.

Meanwhile, babysitters managed to fasten life jackets on some of the children — there were 40 of them, by some estimates. But they could not break out of the play room. On Monday, divers were bringing the dead to the surface one by one. In all, 128 people were presumed drowned. It was the worst loss of life among children in Russia since 2004, when terrorists seized a school in the south.

Russian television showed rescued parents standing on a pier, screaming. “The child was left behind,” one man sobbed, wrapping his arms around a woman. “The child was left behind.” As many as 208 people were on board when the boat sank, including at least 59 children. About 80 people were hauled out of the water about an hour and a half later, when the third of three passing vessels stopped to help. Nikolai Laptev helped pull the survivors up, in shock and slick with diesel fuel, he told the newspaper Argumenty I Fakti. He could recall seeing only three children among them.

Authorities said the accident seemed to be the result of poor maintenance and a disregard for safety. Survivors said the 56-year-old boat was listing to the left even at port, which Russian maritime experts said was possibly because a sewage tank was overfull. Some passengers were so concerned by the tilt that they asked the captain to cancel the trip while docked at a port earlier Sunday, but the captain refused, Itar-Tass reported.

The boat suffered mechanical troubles that caused one of two engines to break down, according to the elite Investigative Committee,which is examining possible criminal misconduct. It was overburdened, carrying as many as 208 people when it was licensed to carry only 14o and crew. Twenty-three of the passengers were not registered. It had last been overhauled in 1980, and its operators had no license to carry passengers, the Prosecutor General reported.

Documents had been filled out sloppily — an official with the Emergency Situations Ministry told the RIA news agency that of the 59 children on board, 36 were listed as having been born on Dec. 30, 1999. President Dmitri A. Medvedev convened his senior ministers on Monday at his residence outside Moscow. “We have far too many old ships sailing our waters,” he said, according to a transcript on his Web site. “Just because up until now nothing had gone wrong did not mean that this kind of tragedy could not happen. It has happened now, and with the most terrible consequences.”

Accounts by survivors and rescue officials suggest that the children had little chance of escape. Capt. Aleksandr Ostrovsky — whose own family happened to be aboard that day — was trying to turn the tilting, underpowered boat in the choppy water of a dammed portion of the Volga River that forms a broad lake, called the Kuybyshev Reservoir. Witnesses said they were almost two miles from the nearest shore. As he turned, the captain exposed the boat’s length to waves, the news Web site Life News reported. One washed over the deck, sweeping some of the adults into the water, and the boat tilted. “It just tipped to the right, flipped over, and sank,” Nikolai Chernov, one of the survivors, told Russian television. “That was it,” he said. “There was no warning, nothing.”

Those who escaped had to fight their way out. Two dozen of the survivors picked up by the rescue ship, the Arabella, had lacerations and broken bones — caused by breaking the windows on their cabins and squeezing through, as the boat filled with water. One passenger said her teenaged daughter had pulled out life jackets and thrust them at her parents. She said her husband cracked the window with his foot, and they were sucked out and fought their way to the surface — but their daughter never appeared. Natalya Makarova told state television that her daughter slipped from her hands as they tried to escape.

“We were all buried alive in the boat like in a metal coffin,” said Ms. Makarova, who escaped through a window. “I practically crawled up from the bottom. My 10-year-old child was with me, I held onto her as long as possible.” Some survivors described moments of selflessness. Lilia Satarova, interviewed in a hospital in Kazan, said a man slammed against the glass window of her cabin until it broke — and then shoved her out first.

“By then, we were already six feet underwater,” Ms. Satarova said. The survivors spent an hour and a half in the water, clinging to debris and life vests. Two cargo barges passed without stopping, said Mr. Chernov. Another survivor told the Russia Today television station that passengers on one passing boat were taking cellphone videos of the people in the water. Russian television showed survivors shaking with grief or staring hollowly at the port in Kazan where they were taken. In one, a woman yells, “My granddaughter, she was only five years old.”

On Monday, the first divers to examine the wreck at the bottom of the river said more than 100 bodies were inside, some of them wearing life preservers, a rescue official told Russian news agencies. The name of the captain, Mr. Ostrovsky, was not among the list of rescued, and neither were the names of his wife and children, whom he had brought along on the trip.

Kalka Mail toll touches 68, may rise further

Kalka Mail toll touches 68

<< The death toll in the Howrah-Kalka Mail derailment rose to 68 on Monday.

The death toll in the Howrah-Kalka Mail derailment rose to 68 on Monday as the two train operators regained consciousness in a government hospital to shed light on what may have caused the wreck.

Top Railway officials who met the injured drivers A K Singh and Uma Kant Yadav quoted them as saying that when the train was at around 108kmph, its rear bogies began wobbling. The drivers tried to reduce the speed, bringing it down to nearly 70kmph, said the officials. When Singh and Yadav felt the wobbling did not stop, they applied the emergency brake.

"The next moment, all the bogies crashed into one another," the officials said quoting the drivers. The impact threw the drivers off and both lost consciousness, they said.

Nearly 260 injured passengers are admitted to different hospitals in Fatehpur, Allahabad and Kanpur. Two Swedish nationals were among the dead. One Swedish passenger is in a Kanpur hospital with multiple injuries.

More than 50 die as Russian Cruise Ship Sinks in Volga River

russia: tourist boat sinbksThe death toll rose to 50 but officials said it was likely to climb further as divers continued the grim task of removing the dead from an overloaded Volga River cruise ship that sank in a storm Sunday afternoon. Dozens remained missing and presumed dead in Russia's worst marine accident in 25 years.

President Dmitry Medvedev declared Tuesday a national day of mourning and ordered officials to check the safety of Russia's aging fleet of cruise ships. "It's already clear that this disaster couldn't have happened if safety regulations were followed and inspections were conducted," a somber-looking Mr. Medvedev told ... Dozens survive, rescuers search for nearly 100 missing after a tourist boat, believed to have been carrying 182 people, sinks in Russia.  Video courtesy of Reuters.

Prime Minister Vladimir Putin appeared to have tears in his eyes as he spoke of the disaster at a separate meeting with economists shown on state television.
Officials said 208 people among them many families with young children were on the two-deck Bulgaria. The vessel was built for no more than about 120, investigators said, and didn't have the proper permits to sail. Twenty-five of the passengers weren't on the official manifest, officials said. "We still need to figure out how they got there," Sergei Shoigu, minister of emergency situations, told Mr. Medvedev.

About 80 people were reported rescued, most by a passing ferry. Investigators said the half-century-old Bulgaria went to the bottom in just a few minutes after being swamped by a large wave as the crew tried to maneuver in a sudden thunderstorm storm on the huge Kuibyshev Reservoir on the Volga. Terrified passengers and crew managed to get only a few inflatable rafts off before the ship sank.

"The ship was just sailing along and then suddenly turned over," survivor Nikolai Chernov told the Komsomolskaya Pravda tabloid. His wife and five-year-old grandson were feared dead.

Alexander Bastrykin, head of Russia's Investigative Committee, arrived Monday at the scene to supervise the probe. Officials said the Czech-built Bulgaria was listing four degrees to the starboard and its port engine was inoperative when it left port for the return voyage from Bolgar to Kazan Sunday morning.
Prosecutors cited "numerous violations" on the part of operators, including the lack of the necessary license. Officials said its last major renovation was conducted in 1980.

Regulators stopped at least one cruise ship of similar design to the Bulgaria for inspection Monday, news agencies reported. But local news agencies quoted the Bulgaria's operator as saying it had been in working order.

"The ship was in good condition," Svetlana Imyakina, director of the Agrorechtur company that rented the ship, told the Interfax news agency Monday. "They wound up in a storm and the holds were flooded."

Waves remained as high as two meters Monday at the accident site, complicating the rescue efforts on the wide river. The wreck was about 2.5 km from shore. Divers worked to remove bodies from the ship, which lay in 18 meters of water, focusing on the restaurant and main hall where children had gathered for a party just before the ship sank. Rescuers combed nearby islands for any who might have survived.

"Divers are working in shifts and will continue around the clock," said Rustam Minnikhanov, governor of the Tatarstan Region, where the accident took place. "I promise that measures will be taken against the ship owners who allowed the Bulgaria out on the water," he told relatives of the passengers. "It's shocking that the ship sank in such a short time." He also promised to investigate two passing ships that survivors said didn't stop to help.

Relatives and survivors stood vigil in the rain on the shore Monday, news reports said, as divers brought bodies up from the wreck.
Officials said the accident was the worst in Russian marine history since 1986, when a passenger ship struck a freighter and sank off Novorossiisk in the Black Sea, killing at least 423.

Minggu, 10 Juli 2011

Kalka Mail Derails in Uttar Pradesh, kills dozens

train clash in up
At least 31 people have been killed and more than 100 injured in a train derailment in northern India.

Thirteen coaches of the Kalka Mail passenger train left the rails near the town of Fatehpur in Uttar Pradesh.

Rescue workers and locals arrived to try to free trapped passengers from the badly damaged carriages.

The train was travelling from Howrah near Calcutta to the capital Delhi. There are fears that the death toll could rise.
'Upside down'

The BBC's Sanjoy Majumder in Delhi says Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has expressed his deep concern over the accident, the second in a week in Uttar Pradesh, and has directed the railway authorities to use all available resources for the relief operation.

Soldiers have been deployed to help in the rescue effort.

The cause of the derailment, about 120km (75 miles) south-east of Uttar Pradesh's capital, Lucknow, was not immediately clear.

Television footage showed carriages at skewed angles, with one on the roof of another and a third thrown clear of the train.

One passenger told CNN-IBN television: "We were sitting in our seats when suddenly everything turned upside down. When the train stopped we broke the glass windows to jump out on the track."

State police official Brij Lal told the Associated Press news agency: "We're trying to cut into the coaches and rescue those still trapped."

The driver was among those injured.

The number of people on board was not immediately clear but reports said there may have been up to 1,000 passengers.

Accidents are common on the state-owned Indian railway, an immense network connecting every corner of the vast country.

It operates 9,000 passenger trains and carries some 18 million passengers every day.

On Thursday, 38 people died in Uttar Pradesh when a train hit a bus carrying a wedding party.

Kamis, 07 Juli 2011

33 killed, 35 injured as train rams into bus in UP

At least 33 people were killed and 35 others injured when a train rammed into a bus at an unmanned crossing near here in Uttar Pradesh in the wee hours on Thursday.

Railways order high-level inquiry into UP mishap. The accident occurred at around 2.20 am when the train on its way from Mathura to Chapra in Bihar rammed into the bus carrying a marriage party from Adupura village at the crossing in Dariyawganj area in this district.

Additional superintendent of police Daddan Prasad said the bus was carrying around 68 passengers.
"33 people have been killed and 35 others injured in the mishap," he said.

Shailaja Kumari, district magistrate, Etah, said the injured have been admitted to various hospitals in Etah and Farukkhabad districts. "The injured have been taken care of and they are now in various hospitals. Everybody is out of danger," she said.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh expressed extreme grief at the loss of life and announced ex-gratia relief of Rs 2 lakh for the kin of each person killed, Rs 50,000 each for seriously injured and Rs 10,000 each for
those with simple injuries. Singh, who holds the railway portfolio, also ordered a high-level inquiry by the
commissioner of rail safety into the mishap.

A railways spokesman said the inquiry will go into the causes of the accident. Minister of state for railways K H Muniyappa and railway board chairman Vinay Mittal have rushed to the mishap site to oversee the rescue operations.

Selasa, 21 Juni 2011

'Jackass' star Ryan Dunn dies in high-speed car crash

A co-star of the "Jackass" movie franchise was killed on Monday when a Porsche he was driving careered off a highway in Pennsylvania and burst into flames.

Ryan Dunn : 'Jackass' star Ryan Dunn dies in high-speed Porsche crash


Ryan Dunn was driving his 2007 Porsche, which police found "fully engulfed in flames" in a wooded area in outer Philadelphia, police in the West Goshen Township said.

An unidentified passenger also died in the crash.

The daredevil personality, 34, part of the crew in the hugely successful "Jackass" movie franchise that specialised in risky pranks and stomach-churning stunts, lived in nearby West Chester, Pennsylvania.

In the hit MTV show and films, Mr Dunn performed a variety of stunts alongside co-stars Johnny Knoxville, Bam Margera and Steve-O.

Knoxville wrote on Twitter: "Today I lost my brother Ryan Dunn. My heart goes out to his family and his beloved Angie."

A police statement said a "preliminary investigation revealed that speed may have been a contributing factor to the accident."

Ohio-born Mr Dunn posted a photo to his Twitter account shortly before the crash which seemed to show him drinking with friends.

On his Twitter account he described himself as a "TV personality, movie star, automotive enthusiast."
In 2005, Dunn was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol and entered a first offender's program that allowed him to clear his record after a certain period of good behaviour, said Patrick Carmody, Assistant District Attorney in Chester County.

Besides the Jackass movie franchise that has grossed more than $330 million worldwide, Mr Dunn also starred in "Haggard: The Movie," an indie comedy in which the tattooed, bearded, daredevil played himself.